Friday, September 4, 2015

I am a writer because I write

Introducions

I'm Nemesismerri and I am a writer because I write. I haven't published anything yet but I hope that someday comes that day when I have published something.
I started this blog to keep a track on my writing progress, sharing tips I have learnt along the journey and stuff like that.
I've started to work on a novel. I have spent on it over two years and it has changed along the way. Plot has radically changed, character's have been added and removed. enviroment has changed, new places to start the story with and new conflicts- But as I have read articles and blog posts about writing and getting better at it i have realised that maybe starting with novel isn't the wisest move. So right now there is a fight going on in my head, poems versus short stories. (Mainly because I didn't spend too much time thinking other options.) Now If you've got an opinnion on which I should choose, please, comment and share your opinnion. (Though I doubt that you'd know the right type of writing I should start with, I should know that myself as I know my abilities in each area the best. But incase you have opinnions share 'em. I don' t mind. )

But I might as well tell something about poems and short stories and about me writing them.

Poems

way too many people nowadays think that poems are all about rhyming, but no. It's not about that only. There are poems without rhyms, and I myself prefer them a little better. Because for somereason
Rhymes+my writing= children song thingys.... (I apologize for my poor choise of words, I'm gonna blame the fact that English isn't my native language.) Anyway, I like how leaving the rhymes, gives me space to express the theme more freely. Because poems, yes they are short, but in such a small amount of words it can express so many feelings. And the fact that poems have so little words it gives chances to decode (I am not sure if it's the correct word to use :'( sawwy) the poem in different ways. (Though bible can be decoded in many ways, but damn.. that book has words. ) But if you guys are writing poems and wonder what different types of poems can you use, if you don't use rhymes I'll be more than glad to give few tips.

playing with words

I know that this types of poems have a real name, I just can't remember it right now. (And I'm too lazy to search) But playing with words. Using same sounds and comeing up with words that maybe doesn't even exist but they have the feeling to tell the message you are trying to tell with your poem. For example certain letters can be used to give a certain feeling. The letter R for example could be described as strong and rough and powerful and the letter S, either sharp or soft and airy. It delivers the message through the sound and the sense of hearing.

Metaphors

I probably don't have to explain this too much. Use metaphors. They are used for example in love poems. Metaphors are simply comparing two things without using word like or so. For example " He is my sun" Metaphoras are strong and powerful. And fun.

Haiku and tanka

Japanese styles of poetry. Haikus are usually about nature and tankas often about love. There are certain amount of syllables you have to use. In Haiku it is 17 (five on the first row, 7 on the second and five on the last) They tell about nature, and you can usually see the season. They don't tell what person feels, but why they feel like it. They are concrete. They usually don't have names. And there are few other rules. But These rules are more like tips, not even professionals follow every rule.

that's my list of types of poems. Well it's not really a list of poems. It's just few types of poems. I could probably write an entire blog about poems. :) JK

Short stories

I have writen few short stories. Very few actually. And I don't know, they were going to be longer, but they were projekts in school and so... I like short stories though. They are mini versions of novels. But I like them mainly because of theere are characters, and many elements from novels. And there are several genres. And while writing a short story I usually finnish it. I accomplish something. Feeling of succes. And I don't have to commit to the story for too long. If the story is just slightly interesting to me. (usually it's interesting but I want to write my novel project and then my short story projects little by little die. :'(

So that's bit about me and few tips of writing.
-Nemesismerri

No comments:

Post a Comment