Monday, July 18, 2016

Creating a language to your story

Little tips on language creation

Now It's a story time. I was reading my earlier drafts of Freaks and demons, the story of Sazra. I noticed that at one point, I had three new languages in it. One for angels, one for demons and one death language who was understood by 'nobelities' and creatures who lived in afterlife. I still have some notes on death language. But angel language and demon language are long forgotten, and even if I had the notes I would still rework them. They were too similar. So today I though that it does make sense to have language for angels and demons. So I started on angel language. But I know that I like certain letter combinations more than others, so I thought how to desing the new language. Here are the steps that I created:

1. Pick up few phrases
some basic phrases like how are you? greetings and such. I also picked somthing not so common for humans but a used phrase for angels  like prepare to die. If your language is for certain people then think what phrases they would use. If it's a tribe in your rainforest in planet garroth. You might not need a word for cellphone.

2. pick already existing language
this part is really essential if you are like me. Creating few new languages. In order for them to sound different I picked a language and translated the phrases into that language. And then started thinking about "words" that sounded similar to that language. Remeber to pick different languages. If languages are too close to each other the sound difference is too small. Unless that's what you are going for.

3. think about grammar rules
the grammar can differ from english grammar ye know. For example in my native language you don't have words like to, from, for. (etc) But words blend kinda... together. Like 'from New York' is in my language. 'New Yorkista.' But anywa, you don't have to make drastic changes, and you probably shouldn't, other wise it might be too difficult. I don't know....

4. learn these rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist.
these aren't strickt rules, they are guidelines. Use them as tools not as rules. You don't have to follow in their foot steps, but you can go in somewhat same direction.

Thank you. It's great that this didn't end up being as emotional as some of my posts. If you want to check out the angel language phrases that I came up with. You can find it in my wattpad profile.
click here
-nemesismerri

No comments:

Post a Comment